Pages

Friday 14 February 2014

Dragon Phoenix Restaurant 龙凤大饭店

This chinese restaurant had been around for a long long time! For as long as I can remember, it was already in operations in the 80s. I used to visit this restaurant very often when I was a young girl. My grandparents are ardent fans of their food so are my grandaunts and granduncles. Without fail, during CNY period we would dine there. Sometimes for the elderly's birthday celebrations, they will choose to host it at Dragon Phoenix too.


Currently, the restaurant is located within the Novotel Clarke Quay Hotel. The seating capacity at current has reduced drastically as compared to when they were located at Outram. At Outram, the restaurant was actually nestled within the HDB flats. That I thought was quite an unique charm. We may get restaurants and cafes at foot of HDB flats these days but somehow the feel is just so different. Maybe because then the space was so huge and they had several live band stages within the restaurant's main hall and side halls. It was a really lively restaurant.

All in all, they were able to host at least 100 tables at Outram! With that huge a space, you will think that getting a table is not an issue? That is where you are wrong! During that time, their tables are always fully booked and you need to make reservations way in advance. That is how popular they were then. I would think many youngsters would probably not know them (Ahem.... I'm still young. I know because I had the fortune of dining there due to my granmps! Hehehe!).

Today they are still popular especially with their long ardent fans. The main hall was filled with guests on 元宵. During the 5 days of luncheon and 元宵, I saw many Caucasians patronizing them too.


The founder chef of this restaurant are good friends with another 3 popular local chinese restaurant's chefs (eg 洗良). They are like the 四大天王of the 饮食界! They are also the ones who developed the lo hei yusheng which has become such a popular dish that one cannot do without during CNY!


A little bit of history reading on yusheng.


How you should prepare and enjoy the yusheng.



I love yusheng. I think its such a healthy, happy and prosperous dish! I think I can eat it everyday! Hahaha! Tossing aka lo hei (in cantonese) the yusheng and saying auspicious wishes symbolizes all the good things ahead in the year.

Anyway, mumsie loves the food there and kept thinking of having our 元宵dinner there. So I made reservation for our family. I was also hunting for suitable venues for my office's customer luncheons. There were lotsa requirements. I had to take into considerations things such as of private dining room, dates availability, accessible by public transport, flexible in tweaking the menu for 5 days of luncheon as well as billing at the end of the 5th lunch. Out of the many venues I enquired only Dragon Phoenix was able to accede to all my requests readily! Boy.... I was really thankful.


I shall recommend two of their signature dishes.


The yam ring basket is filled with goodness. It's so yummy. Best is its not too dry nor too oily. To grasp a good texture for this dish takes a lot of skill.


One other signature dish is the spring chicken. I grew up eating this every CNY. They still taste so fragrant ... no lost of standard at all.




Did I mention that because I organized the business luncheons at their restaurant, they reserved a private dining room for our family too? I was overwhelmed by the nice gesture and in fact felt embarrassed because we only had 4 adults and a child! CNY period business is brisk for them and ours is a small family so naturally our spendings will not be a lot and yet we hold up a private dining room of theirs. (Usually private dinings are for table of 10s where the spendings would be higher.) I felt so valued by them even though I am just a small customer. From this goodwill gesture, it's not hard to see how much they value every customer and that money is not everything to them. Good customer service is. :)

The executive directors - Chris and Summer are also very friendly. They get their hands dirty and served guests with their ground staff. They came to say hello to me and that really surprised me. No airs about them at all! I was so glad they could accede to my company's request and I gave them the business in return. :) The managers especially Kevin are all very helpful throughout the meals I was there. I doubt I could have gotten such services elsewhere consistently through the 6 meals there.

Our family had an enjoyable 元宵 dinner there and my colleagues and business partners were quite satisfied with the luncheons too. 

I have also heard they serve dim sum lunches and they have a 50% promotion going on. We will visit them again soon for their dim sum!


Will I Visit this Outlet Again: Yes
Got Service: 8/10

Address:
177A River Valley Road
#06-00 Novotel Clarke Quay Singapore (Liang Court)
Singapore 179031.
Tel: (+65) 6339-3368
Fax: (+65) 6339-3383

Operating Hours:
Mondays to Saturdays -
Lunch: 1100hrs to 1500hrs
Dinner: 1800hrs to 2300hrs

Sundays & Public Holidays -
Lunch: 1000hrs to 1600hrs


Dinner: 1800hrs to 2300hrs


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.